I'm really missing the good old days when Doordarshan used to be only TV channel around. One of the main reasons is their coverage of news. They are truly fair and balanced and pretty accurate in their news reporting and they dont waste time on trivial/unimportant/stupid things. They get right down to the point. Crisp as the news should always be. This was until the late 80's and the early 90's when cable was introduced. Ofcourse, im not implying that this is bad, but some of it is outrageous. The news coverage of some channels are really good, an example being BBC. Everyone was fasinated with these new channels on cable. They now had choices which they never had before. One thing that cable introduced was the 24 hour news channels. CNN, BBC etc etc. Everyone (I mean, people in the mid 30's/40's and upwards) were hooked onto these channels. And CNN too, parlayed to the Indian audience by roping in a few Indian Reports to give it a "desi" twist, air a few Indian centric programs and things like that. Everything was fine until, one guy names Rajdeep Sardesai, started his own channel (I Dont know if he owns the station or what, but he lloks like the guy in charge of the station) called the CNN IBN.
CNN IBN, ofcourse like everyother Indian Channel, features India centric programs, and claims to be a "24 Hour News" channel. It also has a website. The stupid thing about this news channel is that they replay the same content over and over again. I mean, they dont even read the same news live on air again and again, but they tape it and run it over and over again. Its so bizzare that even some bloopers are repeated all through the day (believe me, I've seen more than a couple). Also, unfathomable is the quality of news and their personnel. I don't know about you, but I sure want my news from someone whom I can trust. I want it from someone who has a clean reputation. Not from a Sex Offender (If you are wondering why Im saying this, there's this reporter named VidyaShankar Iyer, who was a reporter in Singapore before he joined the CNN IBN team. He was convicted for sexual assualt in singapore).
Also, if you are interviewing someone, you dont ask the same question ten times to get an answer. Oh yea, Im talking about Karan Thappar at the devil's Advocate. If the guy is being evasive, ask the question twice or thrice, drill home the point that the interviewee is being evasive and move on. Dont ask him the same question 10 times. The interviewee is a seasoned politician. He knows how to be evasive. He's not gonna answer the Goddamn question. Move on to another own.
The content on the website is another issue. I know India has a big population and many people are unemployed. I also appreciate the fact that IBN is helping the society by employing a lot of people. But, please oh please hire some one only when there is a need. Just dont hire them and make them write stories such as the one that I'm Copy-Pasting an extract below
A cup of coffee more expensive than crude oil
There's nothing like coffee to kick start one's day, but a cup of coffee is more expensive than crude oil.
That's because a cup of Barista Coffee costs Rs 57 so a barrel of it works out to Rs 22,230. That's almost four times the price of one barrel of crude oil .
A barrel is approximately 117 litres. Now, taking crude at $140 per barrel and one dollar at Rs 40 it comes to Rs 5,680.
And how much does a barrel of Kingfisher beer cost? Well, it works out to Rs 10,179.
Hey, I have a better Idea, why not compare the number of stripes on the skin of a zebra in india with that of a zebra in Africa. if you have more time, why dont you throw in a tiger in the midst and do the stripes comparison?
Seriously, how bored are your employees to write such stupid article? And who cares about the comparison between crude oil and coffee. Isnt there anything else to write about? What next?
By the way, I dont know who awarded IBN the best news channel in India. My bet would be on the crackhead Amy Winehouse or Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears. So much for the awards bringing creditbilty to an organisation!
No comments:
Post a Comment