Monday, March 12, 2007

Springing forward.

I don’t know how many of you think like me. I got some stupid views about some of things that are being done. Like for instance, the day light savings started yesterday. I really don’t know why they would even have the concept of day light savings. C’mon we are not living in the 19th century. It is understandable that in the olden days, people needed the day light savings so that they get the most out of a day as they had no electricity and they had to rely on the natural source of light to get their things done. But day light savings in this age? That’s plain old shit. These days no one even knows when the sun rises and when it sets. No office uses the sunlight for illuminating these days. Even during the day, electric lamps provide the lighting. So why does it matter if the sun sets at 6 pm or 7pm? And guess what? People have to actually wake up at 2am and set their clocks to 3am. Waking up at 2am on a Sunday? No way. So most people get up at their normal times only to find that they’ve overslept. For me the whole day seemed to be messed up. I got up at 9am, which meant I slept one hour less, then when I thought it was 6pm, it was actually 7pm and finally I couldn’t sleep at my usual time 1am. This thing is so disorienting that you feel as though u’ve traveled to another time zone. Biological clocks doesn’t change as easily as the wall clocks!!
The Americans are really good at putting themselves into trouble. And because half the world depends on these guys, everybody gets screwed up. This year the day light saving was really really messed up. Usually the spring “forward” occurs on the 1st Sunday of April (atleast that’s what I think). This year, they moved it to the second Sunday of march. Two weeks early. This apparently is dangerous for computers, as they were programmed to change their clocks only on the first Sunday of April. Something similar to the much feared Y2K. These guys create the problem, then after a lot of hype, they fix it up and earn the tag “ they are brilliant”. Isn’t that lame? Why create the problem the problem in the first place? Beats me.

No comments: