Monday, March 19, 2007

Temples.

First I’d like to say this. I’m not a very religious person nor am I an atheist. I don’t pray regularly but I do go to temples once in a while. I like temples that are really old. Especially the ones in Kumbakonam (even though I’ve seen those temples only once, I kind of like them and I’d definitely visit them when I get an opportunity). These temples have history, which I believe all big temples should have. And if you see, the deities will look really old (by which I mean weathered). When I look at them, I’m really amazed at their weathered condition. It really makes you believe in miracles.

But there are temples that I really don’t prefer going to. And one of them is the ISCKON temple. Sure enough it looks magnificent with the marbles, the modern architecture etc etc. The reason I don’t like it is that they are too commercialized. They don’t serve the common man. The temple gives a look that it is meant for the super rich people. Isn’t the god’s place supposed to be very subtle? And aren’t the temples supposed to reflect the Hindu religion? These temples definitely don’t give you that feeling. Its too modern to be a place of worship. Im not saying that all temples should either be like the Kumbakonam temples or old and weathered ones. But they should be more subtle in their outlook.

And whats with the prasadam that they serve there? Pizzas, Burgers, donut etc.. Im sorry. But did I come to a temple or a food court? Damn. Everything is getting westernized. Pizzas and donuts as an offering to god? So what next? Jeans and a shirt instead of the dhoti for lord Krishna? Im really doubting these guys. These guys sure seem like a “ for profit” organization.

And of course, as is the case with all high profile stuff, ISKCON too is not without controversy. They were accused of child abuse in their U.S schools, they filed for bankruptcy, and one of their so called swami’s was found guilty of rackeering and conspiracy to murder. Damn. It is a commercial outfit.

The other Brand of temples that I don’t like are the Birla Mandir. It falls in the same category as the ISKCON. But whats with the name? honor the lord when you build a temple not the person who built it. Actually, the original name of the first BIRLA MANDIR was Lakshmi Narayan Temple, a famous one in delhi. The Birla family renovated and hence the name Birla Mandir. And to capitalize on the fame, the Birlas built a couple of more temples.

That’s about all I cud find for my blog here. Will come up with more such stupid things later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dei ne summa kooda adivangaporathe illa!!!!!!!