
U must be wondering what “days of our year” meant and you'd probably say "that is grammatically wrong". It probably is. But I don’t care.
This post is about one of the numerous "special days" that we celebrate throughout the year. Let me try to list all the days that I know of “New Year day, Valentine’s day, Labor day, Mother’s day, Father’s day, Aids day, Ground hog day, Women’s day, etc.. U name something and there’s a day dedicated to it. Did you know that there’s a day called “Towel day” and also “Software Freedom day”? Oh yeah. I guess anything under the sun has a day associated with it. The one “special “day that I’m going to rant about is Valentine’s day.
Many people believe that this day, officially known as “St. Valentine’s day”, is the day when lovers express their love for one another. And It was actually a official holiday declared by the church in the 1600s. But there are conflicting versions to the Valentine’s Day legacy. The one I really like and believe is this. Valentine’s Day is just another day that was hyped up by the commercial establishments for monetary gains. No wonder this holiday along with lots of other holidays are called “HALLMARK HOLIDAYS”.
I really don’t believe in celebrating these “special” days. At the end of the day, all that would be left in your pocket would be tons of bills. I know what you are thinking now. “Why the hell does Arvind celebrate all those festivals then?? Aren’t they one of those special days??” let me clarify here. Unlike these hallmark holidays, festivals have historical events tied associated with them and hence I celebrate them. Valentine’s Day has no historic event associated with it. At the most, one of your friends might have proposed to his girlfriend that day ( in that case, u definitely deserve to celebrate that day.. Unless of course the proposal was turned down!!) I really cannot comprehend why someone would choose this day to propose to his/her girlfriend/boyfriend. People should consider watching the movie eternal sunshine of the spotless mind before celebrating this day. If you haven’t seen it, let me quote joel from the movie “Valentine's Day is a day invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap”.
But don’t get me wrong here. I don’t like celebrating this day. But that’s it. I don’t stop people from celebrating and to be more precise, I despise people who try to stop others from celebrating it. Every year in India (Especially Maharastra) there are hundreds of reports of couples getting beaten up by the self styled moral police (u know who I’m talking about). These goons go around the city beating up helpless couples, tearing down gift shops, bullying and intimidating ordinary people. Their justification “these celebrations are bringing down the moral values of the youngsters”. Oh yea?? Celebrating a day brings down the moral values of youngsters?? C’mon.. These people are lame idiots who have no work (Cos the people voted them out of power) except for picking others noses. I believe they like the statement “no publicity is bad publicity”. One small piece of advise for these people. Most of these “yougsters” are eligible to vote!!
Damn. I had thought of a million points to write when I was sitting in my fiber optics lecture. I forgot everything when I came out of there. Next time, I’ll make sure to put those points on a paper as and when I think of them.
Ciao.
This post is about one of the numerous "special days" that we celebrate throughout the year. Let me try to list all the days that I know of “New Year day, Valentine’s day, Labor day, Mother’s day, Father’s day, Aids day, Ground hog day, Women’s day, etc.. U name something and there’s a day dedicated to it. Did you know that there’s a day called “Towel day” and also “Software Freedom day”? Oh yeah. I guess anything under the sun has a day associated with it. The one “special “day that I’m going to rant about is Valentine’s day.
Many people believe that this day, officially known as “St. Valentine’s day”, is the day when lovers express their love for one another. And It was actually a official holiday declared by the church in the 1600s. But there are conflicting versions to the Valentine’s Day legacy. The one I really like and believe is this. Valentine’s Day is just another day that was hyped up by the commercial establishments for monetary gains. No wonder this holiday along with lots of other holidays are called “HALLMARK HOLIDAYS”.
I really don’t believe in celebrating these “special” days. At the end of the day, all that would be left in your pocket would be tons of bills. I know what you are thinking now. “Why the hell does Arvind celebrate all those festivals then?? Aren’t they one of those special days??” let me clarify here. Unlike these hallmark holidays, festivals have historical events tied associated with them and hence I celebrate them. Valentine’s Day has no historic event associated with it. At the most, one of your friends might have proposed to his girlfriend that day ( in that case, u definitely deserve to celebrate that day.. Unless of course the proposal was turned down!!) I really cannot comprehend why someone would choose this day to propose to his/her girlfriend/boyfriend. People should consider watching the movie eternal sunshine of the spotless mind before celebrating this day. If you haven’t seen it, let me quote joel from the movie “Valentine's Day is a day invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap”.
But don’t get me wrong here. I don’t like celebrating this day. But that’s it. I don’t stop people from celebrating and to be more precise, I despise people who try to stop others from celebrating it. Every year in India (Especially Maharastra) there are hundreds of reports of couples getting beaten up by the self styled moral police (u know who I’m talking about). These goons go around the city beating up helpless couples, tearing down gift shops, bullying and intimidating ordinary people. Their justification “these celebrations are bringing down the moral values of the youngsters”. Oh yea?? Celebrating a day brings down the moral values of youngsters?? C’mon.. These people are lame idiots who have no work (Cos the people voted them out of power) except for picking others noses. I believe they like the statement “no publicity is bad publicity”. One small piece of advise for these people. Most of these “yougsters” are eligible to vote!!
Damn. I had thought of a million points to write when I was sitting in my fiber optics lecture. I forgot everything when I came out of there. Next time, I’ll make sure to put those points on a paper as and when I think of them.
Ciao.
No comments:
Post a Comment